Monday, February 27, 2017

I Didn't Go To EDSA for People Power 2017


President Rodrigo Duterte's supporters gather at Luneta Park on Saturday during a vigil backing the administration and its programs. Romeo Ranoco, Reuters


I have never attended a People Power celebration. The first time it happened, I was too young and lived in the province. As I grew older, the fire had died in me. I remember a time when I felt overwhelmed by all the adults united fighting for this ideal something that even I, during that time, could understand. Who would not know and want freedom? But the years have dampened that, seeing that nothing really changed. They may have switched people in the government, but essentially, the standard of freedom here in the Philippines didn't change.

I still feel we're being treated as low rate citizens.

There were still too many tyrants -- everywhere. School, church, at work. So much Too much. So why would I go? I was proud of the very first People Power Revolution, for its bloodless resolution. But let's face it. We've always been naive. It's our absolution and our curse. We're treated like trash. And we joke about it, hiding the anger inside. That's the Pinoy style.

For the first time in years, somebody suddenly appears in the crowd and started shouting all that anger out. And for the first time in such a long time, I found authenticity in him. For the first time in my life, I want to go celebrate People Power. But not in EDSA. In Luneta. I want to support that authenticity. I want to back Duterte.

As if that could make a dent to those who have been swept as I am to that ferocity of his fight for freedom from corruption, criminality, drug trade, and yes -- low self-esteem. People flocked to Luneta instead of to EDSA. Not that no one went to EDSA. It's just that more went to Luneta. Organized meet ups also went on to other parts of the world so OFWs can show their support by attending. The world may not understand why majority of Filipinos can manage to support a narcissistic, serial killing president. You've always thought us stupid. Who cares if that doesn't change?

I wasn't able to come. I have to go to work. I can't mess up my stats. I can't get a leave. But I wore red. It was frustrating. But I wore red. And I'll probably buy a blue jacket, and if I get lucky the next time I can get to show my support for my president, I'll wear the jacket over my red shirt.

Meantime, I have to work, to get my kids to school. I have to finish that story. Tomorrow is another day to watch the news and laugh as the international media make my country seem like the dumbest country on Earth. At least, I feel relief that not one of my kids will go home with a black eye after moron drug addicts took a spot on him while he was walking home on a black out. And no friend of mine will have to fight for their lives over cellphones and laptops (with their thesis due for the next day on the hard disk while graduations is just a week or two away) when drug addicts needed a fix and they have to get the money for it. No one-year-old, six-year old, nine-year-old will get raped on cemeteries and abandoned buildings and dark alleys. You have your Trump and what have you's. So let's all get busy, won't we?

#defend duterte
#produterte
#welabtataydigong


No comments:

Post a Comment